Board Meeting 105
|Board Meeting 105|
|Address||33 Kent Ave. Kitchener, ON|
|Meeting Type||Board Meeting|
Call to Order
- Darcy Casselman calls this meeting at 20:38
Approval of the Agenda
- All in favour: Unanimous
Report from the President
- We are awesome! Thank you and good night.
Report from the Treasurer
- Large deposit to do including Maker Faire cheque. Will put us up to $17000 roughly
- $430 left in the tool fund
- $9200 left in Triliium grant
- Bills are paid
- chomping through the membership fees. Looks like everything is up to date currently.
- Electrical bill has finally evened out. Average $90 a month.
- Gas and water has been negligable cost wise
- $30 in donations in the last month
- Maker Faire has paid out, made $102 for the soldering station at the faire
- Emergency fund is topped up
Membership Changes Logging
- New Members: 3 approved, 1 pending, Rob to email the new members and set them up on email
- Stephanie Trotter, Michael Ahrens, Ryan Wicks accepted
- Members Leaving: already noted last meeting
Membership Dues Owed Follow Up
- Ben to follow up with this
- Welcome Jaymis and Jonathan!
- New board meeting time? Wednesday at 7:30pm (post review with Johnathan)
- Signing authority for Jaymis. Email to new director list to see who wants to be part of the signing group.
- Get authority signing done at bank July 1st week
New member application process
- Follow up from ML conversation
- How to make it clearer, friendlier, less intimidating for applicants?
- The process documented on our web site involves a physical meeting that the applicant is encouraged to attend. DIYode uses an interview process. We silently abandoned the concept of interviews, because email is more convenient.
- How to make it more convenient for members and the board? Kudos to Doug, re:photos
- Updating the application form. Ben feels it needs updating to be more current.
- Integrating applicants into community
- Action Item: Online form for member application - Ben
- Action Item: Member welcoming information/page - Doug
Parking at Kwartzlab
- Mark has talked to MTD
- Should also talk to MCC
- Talk with Christian to talk with MCC
Hacky Halloween 2013
- At THEMUSEUM? Or at Kwartzlab?
- Funding, sponsorship
- Doug had a quick meeting with Charlotte at the meeting, and Shawn from waterloo
- Doug will present his requests in a near future meeting with TheMuseum
- will need to order kits this year again. James said we can make up a smaller kit this round.
- At Kwartzlab? Not recommended in review
G33k Art Show
- Can we get in for free? Didn't have to pay last year.
- In-kind swap with Maker Faire?
- Nov22-24 this year
- Discussion of possibly offering table swap for events
- Action Item: Ben talk to Miroki about in-kind table swap
- Approve Mark's suggested Canadian Tire purchase?
- Discuss/clarify purchasing procedure
- The action item to form the committee never occurred
- Some members have been buying items for the lab without prior approvals from the board in the abscense of a tool committee
- Ben recommends setting the float money limit to $200, and individual purchases to $50 based on purchasing history/experience
- Anything more than $50 per individual purchase, request must be made to board for approval for the purchase (can be done in email)
- Motion: Ben made a motion to dissolve the tool fund
- Seconded: James
- Discussion: Issues with tool purchases can be time sensitive. The board can be responsive to these requests to hopefully not miss out on deals that come up.
- All in favour: unanimous
- Motion: To create a $200 money float for smaller purchases - Ben
- Seconded: James
- Discussion: none
- All in favour: unanimous
- The cash box will have keys provided to signing authority board members only to handle these transactions. All money coming out the float box will require receipts.
Which Mailing List?
- There seems to be some confusion about which mailing list to use for what.
- Any discussion the members should care about goes on members. This is the default for most things.
- Votes, boring administrivia goes on admin. Because we don't want members unsubscribing from members due to this stuff.
- General meeting announcements and matters of grave corporate import go on announce. Announce must be kept up to date with all member emails.
- "Check out this cool link" goes on discuss. Public event notifications should be sent to discuss as well.
Social Media Accounts
Social media accounts are not tied to identities of specific Kwartzlab members. BOD holds the credentials.
- Action Item: Create a new Google account to tie Youtube to.
- Action Item: Darcy to use that for the twitter contact
Kwartzlab Booth for Maker Faire
- Report? Pretty awesome.
Internet Speed Issues
- We know it's not stable. Ben has emailed Cedric about the connection. Mark has as well a few weeks ago.
- Ben to provide a report on this, possibly new cable solutions
- Proposed course of action will be to remove the 2 DSL connections and go cable with Packet Works. Cedric will supply $50 towards the monthly fee and Kwartzlab will supply the rest. Monthly fee estimate is currently at $100. Currently we have enough members to support paying for this. Proposal to be posted to the mailing list.
- Action Item: Ben worked on automated script working, should be in place for next week
- Action Item: Rob to update clean up instructions to include garbage info
Youth (16 or younger) Membership
- James - concern about liability on our behalf
- Mark - parents should sign a waiver for their children
- Darcy - we need to discuss with a lawyer
- Would be good to have waivers signed regardless
- What's the liability implication of minors in the space - for advice from lawyer
- minors can't sign contracts. Parents can.
- Action Item: Gus to talk with lawyer and we'll follow up next meeting - Darcy need to follow up
- discussion items:
- 24 keyed access for kids? Can they bring their friends as guests (without adult supervision)?
- legal liability, if a 16 yr old cuts off their finger, vs an 18 yr old? If a kid's guest cuts off their finger?
- can a 16 yr old sign the audit waver form?
- No new info on this topic. Still waiting for lawyer's info from Gus.
Buildout / Prep
- Budget for exterior painting
- Electrical? Ed requires assistance to do this up and then schedule up time
- Action Item: Ben - sign creations - done, needs to be put up, issues with lighting being worked on
- Action Item: Drywall panelling / mudding - on hold for 2nd floor
- Action Item: 2nd floor - Rob - kitchenette floor
- Action Item: Power panel needs remapping and reorganization and plumbing drain tube needs to be moved
- Action Item: James - needs to install the door strike. Back door first
- Action Item: Welding area - Need to remove slot wall (safety), steel shelving to replace slot/peg board. Fireplace backing sheets recommended.Can hang the welding curtains in the meantime.
- Action Item: Rob or Ben - garbage run needs to happen again (ceiling tiles, etc)
- Action Item: Karl - carpeting to stairwell and bathroom
- Action Item: Plumbing vent - Taylor investigating with Bob
- Action Item: Paint outside of building - will need budgetary review
- Action Item: Get and run sawdust duct work, interim piping can be made up until fully planned piping done
- Status of purchases.
- Mark - Ontario Arts council - found other funds to investigate as well - period doesn't start until 2014
- Action Item: James - we've had the tool meeting, now to prioritize and purchase the tools. Some tools are being purchased already, others being investigated. James to follow up on purchases.
- Action Item: Darcy to do press release and blog posting - Press advisory instead of a release - paused for now
- Action Item: Need to pick a day for the party (TBD related to move) - Not done yet, need to give dignitaries 3-4 weeks lead time - paused for now
- Action Item: Ben to follow up on the chairs order - chairs are on their way
- Action Item: James to follow up on router and other items
Health and Safety
- Discussion came up after the vote about getting more information around this
- Discussions over changing policies for Tuesday open nights for non-members and usage of tools and restricting usage of them
- Tagging of tools for various levels of complexity
- Some posters have been posted
- Extinguishers have been put up around the shop with signage
- Action Item: James to get more safety glasses
Action item review
Forwarded by: Darcy at 22:14 Second: James In favour: Unanimous
- A minimum of 4 Directors are needed to make quorum
- Jaymis (future President)