LAN Party Event Planning
The Basic Idea
Ubuntu is cool, and does well on a Live DVD. Why not make one that has lots of games, then we can have a LAN Party where people bring in any computer and they don't have to worry about installing games.
We've got the following games on the docket:
- OpenArena - Quake 3 Arena Clone
- BZFlag - 3D Tank battle game... gets pretty crazy
- Boswars - Standard RTS
- Globulation 2 - RTS where you don't control the units directly
- Teeworlds - 2D capture the flag deathmatch platformer
- Hedge Wars - Worms Clone
- Scorched 3d - The mother of all games... IN 3D!
- Armagetron AD - Tron Light Cycles
- Pioneers - Settles of Catan Clone
- xtris - Multiplayer Tetris
- gtetrinet - Vindictive Multiplayer Tetris
If we need more:
- Tremulous - Humans vs. Aliens FPS
- Warzone 2100 - RTS
- Liquidwar - Unique multiplayer game
You can install Ubuntu in Windows by using Wubi. If you do this, make sure that your disk is more than 10 GB. The games alone take up 5. You can then either install games individually, or install them all using the metapackage.
Installing the games via the metapackage
- Go to System -> Administration -> Software Sources
- Enter your password if asked
- Go to the Other Software tab
- Choose Add...
- Enter the following into the box:
deb http://gerlach.ca/ubuntu/apt lanparty main
- Click Add Source then Close.
- Reload your software list when it asks.
- Go to System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager
- In the Quick Search box, type
- Install the package that shows up.