Health & Safety Policy 2 Sections a-c Kwartzlab Society Inc Training/Equipment Policy
We recognize the lab will change as we bring in new members and new tools. This policy is created with that in mind.
- 1. Before equipment can be brought into the lab, it has to meet with the Board of Directors’ approval. The Board has assigned the Health & Safety Committee to categorize equipment as Green (safe with minimal training/supervision) or Red (can only be operated with training/PPE).
- 2. The Health & Safety Committee is also tasked with creating a list of all tools/equipment on site that fall into the Red category drawing from the master list of tools/equipment compiled by the Tool Committee. The shorter Red list includes each tool’s available trainers, trained operators and required PPE. This list can be found in the Kwartzlab website’s Wiki articles on Health & Safety.
- 3. It is our requirement if you are going to use any categorized Red equipment you must be recognized as a trainer or receive training from a Health & Safety Committee recognized trainer. Upon recognition, your name will be added to the other individuals cleared to make use of the specified tool/equipment and you will be listed as a trainer or trained operator.
- 4. The Committee is responsible for keeping lists of Red tools/equipment, trainers and those trained as operators up to date.
2b) Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- 1. Designated lab tools/equipment will have a Supplier Label (sticker with a dashed border) laying out what PPE has to be worn in order to operate it.
- 2. Kwartzlab will try to keep required PPE on site. The lab is not required to have PPE readily available for immediate use in anticipation of what equipment may be brought into the space on a daily basis.
- 3. If there’s no PPE available for categorized Red tools and the tool has a Supplier Label showing it requires certain PPE, then the tool cannot be operated.
2c) Visiting Tools/Equipment and their Owners
In the event that a tool is going to be brought into the space by a member or otherwise, it first has to be cleared with the Tool Committee (who will then forward information to the Health & Safety Committee if there’s a concern) or to the Health & Safety Committee directly. If the visiting tool/equipment is considered category Red, then it is up to the owner of the tool/equipment to follow these instructions:
- 1. The tool/equipment never leaves the owner's sight
- 2. It is assumed the owner is a trained operator of the tool/equipment unless the owner makes known otherwise
- 3. No one operates it but the owner without training unless the owner also cannot operate the tool/equipment, then it is in the lab for show & tell purposes only and all guards, locks, switches, etc should be set so the item will not operate
- 4. If the owner or another is deemed a trainer than others may operate the tool/equipment under the trainer’s supervision (requires Health & Safety approval so the tool/equipment and trainer’s name can be added to the Red list)
- 5. The Health & Safety Committee will decide what PPE is required to operate all category Red tools/equipment in the lab including those brought in on visits
- 6. If the tool/equipment is brought in from off site and PPE is not available from the lab then PPE has to be supplied by the owner of said tool/equipment